Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentines and Love Languages

Molly and Alex have very similar personalities, and sometimes it's scary how much Alex seems like a boy version of Molly at whatever age he is at the time.

One of their big differences is that Molly's top love language is gifts, while Alex's is physical touch. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should read Dr. Gary Chapman's book "The 5 Love Languages."

Probably because of her love of gifts, Molly tends to be a bit of a hoarder. She feels like everything anyone has ever given her is "very special" to her. Last year for Valentine's Day, she decorated a shoe box. She brought her shoe box full of valentines home from school. That first week, she looked through her valentines probably at least five times, reading each one carefully and returning them to her box. Every time I cleaned her room, I tried to get her to toss the box full of valentines, but she couldn't stand to part with them. She looked at them from time to time, too... she didn't just forget about them. I think it was October before I finally tossed her box while she was in school.

Of the 5 Love Languages, gifts definitely comes last for me. I also like organization and dislike clutter, so I struggle a bit with Molly's hoarding tendencies.

This year, Molly decorated a small paper bag for Valentine's day, and her bag full of Valentines is sitting on top of her dresser. I wonder how long it will have to stay there.

Alex decorated a small paper bag in his preschool class too. He brought his bag home after his party on Monday, looked at all of the valentines, and picked out the few pieces of candy that were attached to some of the cards. Then yesterday (without any suggestion or prompting from me), Alex dumped out his valentines and looked through them. He picked out the two pencils he had gotten and picked his favorite 3 valentines. He brought the pencils and the 3 chosen ones to me and said, "I want to keep these. I do not want the rest." He had no problem picking up the ones he didn't want and putting them in our recycling bin.

I was impressed! Yay for a non-hoarder!

No comments: