Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Screen-Free Week

This week (April 17-13) is screen-free week. It was encouraged by Molly's school. For this week, Molly and Alex are to completely avoid all TV, video games, movies, and other screen-time.

The kids have not tried to cheat at all, but they have certainly told us plenty how much they are not enjoying screen-free week. Both have said it is the worst week of their life. Really? Ha. :) I think they know how to be overdramatic.

Alex loves crafts. Mostly, he loves creating his own artwork using tape, scissors, glue, staples, paper, and pens. He uses a LOT of paper and tape. Since he can't play video games, he has been doing even more art work than usual this week. Here are some of his creations:


Balloon animal fish that Alex made, swimming in the ocean that Alex made.


This is a Grandfather Clock with hands that spin. There are numbers on the clock face, but I'm not sure they show up in the photo.


This is a conglomeration of stapled paper, Easter artwork, and a booklet of animals in Spanish and English.


This is Darth Vader. Alex told me that I can know it's Darth Vader because he has a red light saber AND a black mask on his face. He said that there are others with red light sabers like Darth Maul, Darth Citius, and Count Duku, but they do not have black masks like Darth Vader. Good to know, Alex.
(I'm sure I totally spelled those names wrong, but I don't want to look up their proper spellings.)

Oh, did I mention that Alex has become quite the Star Wars fan? He has. I think he loves it more than Mario now.


After I took the photo of Darth Vader on the floor, I turned around and was surprised to see that creation above taped (with a LOT of tape!!!) on my dining room wall. Apparently it is an "Easter suprise for Molly." Hmm.


This isn't part of screen-free week. It is a watercolor picture of Darth Vader that Alex made in preschool.


I think I'm going to have to buy some more tape before this week is over. :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Mark said...

Wonderful creativity Alex!