Monday, April 20, 2009

Alex's cutting and a Tooth Necklace!



Alex surprised me last week with his scissors skills! He has mostly just used scissors to turn sheets of paper into confetti. Maybe he's cut something out during a craft prioject at church, but I'm not sure. Anyway, he was sitting by me cutting paper when he asked if he could cut out an A for Alex. He's been very into letters lately, especially the ones in his name. I drew an A on paper, and Alex cut it out all by himself! Then he wanted the L , E, and X. He cut them out all by himself too and put them in order on the floor. He was so proud of his name!


Molly lost her 2nd tooth today!
At her school, if a child loses a tooth during the school day, they are given a tooth necklace. The tooth on the necklace is a tiny container for them to keep their lost tooth in until they get home. Isn't that great?!?


--------
Funny Stories:

Alex is really talkative now. However, like most 3-yr-olds, he still has trouble with certain consonant sounds, especially at the beginning of words. He often substitutes a "t" or "d" sound for "ch", "g", "c", "th", "tr", etc., and he doesn't enunciate his r's very clearly.
Beause of this, there are many times when I find myself not understanding one certain important word in whatever he's telling me. He repeats it over and over, while I guess what word he's saying.

Yesterday we were in the car and Alex dropped something. He said, "Mommy, I dropped my dod, can't you please get it?"
I said, "Sure Alex. What did you drop?" I looked on the floor but couldn't see anything. He said, "My dod. I dropped my dod and I need it back. My dod that I made. I dropped my dod." No matter how many times I made him repeat it, I just heard "dod". I made a few guesses. Card? Did you drop your card, Alex? He was getting frustrated. He said, "No, not my dod (card), my DOD (whatever the original dod was)!!!"
I was lost. Finally when we were parked and opened the van door, we saw his Jesus craft from church. He was calling it his "God", saying he had dropped his God. Mystery solved.


This morning, he wanted to know where the sidewalk chalk went that Daddy bought, except what he said was, "Mommy, I want the tak that Daddy bought. Where is it?"
Tak. Hmm. So I'm left guessing what he's asking for. Clock? Truck? He was frustrated. Finally he pointed outside to the sidewalk and said, "The tak for the sidewalk", and then I got it. Chalk. Then I got to explain how it was raining out so we couldn't play with chalk even if we found it.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to make sure the tooth gets home from school. I'm impressed. Way to go Alex!! Good job cutting. Grandma L

Nina said...

That's super cutting! I also totally cracked up that he dropped his God. I about choked on my water!!!

Joslin3 said...

Good job Alex. Hidden scissor talents :)

Leah Miller said...

The talking thing certainly is frustrating (Ike is mostly undecipherable). Sarah Jo has Atticus try to explain it in a different way with a different word. It's worked for her! And atticus is expanding his vocab. :)