Saturday, February 7, 2009

Valentines and other things

Molly's "homework" for this weekend is to fill out Valentines for all of the children in her class. She is supposed to neatly write her name and their names on all of the cards.

I have a lot of card-making things, and I thought making homemade Valentines would be a fun project for us to do together. I also thought it would give her more room to write names (have you seen how tiny and junky the standard store-bought Valentines are now?). We've been discussing store-bought vs. homemade for a few days now. I told Molly how we can use a bunch of heart stamps and paper, but she is STUCK on the idea that the girls in her class need princess Valentines and the boys need Spiderman ones.

Here's what I can remember of our conversation this morning.
Cory and I were hanging out together on the couch in the basement, and Molly ran downstairs and said, "Mom, Dad, we need to go buy our Valentines at Target NOW!"
E: Molly, would you like to make Valentines with me instead?
M: Well, we can give the girls in my class princess cards and the boys can have the home made ones.
E: Molly, I think if we make home made ones we should make that kind for your whole class.
M: Ok, we can just put princesses and spiderman on those cards.
E: We don't have those stickers, Molly. We can use a lot of heart stamps and the words, "Happy Valentines Day" on them, though.
M: (thinks for a second) I know! I will DRAW spiderman and princesses on the homemade cards. Let's do that. Let's do it now. Can we go do it now????
Cory: Molly, I don't think you can draw Spiderman on 20 cards...
M: Dad, I would just draw Spiderman on the boys' cards and draw princesses on the girls' cards.
E: Molly sweetie, you are a very good artist for a 5-yr-old, but I don't think you can draw spiderman or princesses.
M: Yes I can!!! I can!
E: I think we should just go to Target, then.
M: Ok, let's go RIGHT NOW. Let's go now. Can we go now????
C: I don't think Target is even open yet Molly...
M: That's ok. We can go right now. We can get there early and just wait in the van until it opens. Then we will be the FIRST ONES in the store!!!
C: Why do you want to be the first ones in the store?
M: Because I really want Spiderman for the boys and what if we are last and all the spiderman ones are gone and then I have to get Superman? I really don't want to give them Superman Valentines!!! Can we go now????
:)

-----
The other night Molly was playing with her food while we were eating. She started waving her fork around all over, and I asked her to stop waving her fork and just try to eat. She looked at me and said, "Mom, I was just getting funky with it!"
What? Where does she hear these things?

-----

Oh, and I have an update on Alex. It seems that the Madeleine's magical nap spell only lasted for 7 days. Life is back to normal (he won't be in his room without me again, and even if I lay down with him in his bed he won't fall asleep anymore. No more naps... and still no quiet times.... sigh.)

No comments: