Sunday, March 15, 2009

Teeth

Molly has been excited to start loosing her baby teeth, but last fall her dentist said it would probably be a year based on her x-rays, so we've been trying to tell Molly to just be patient because it could be quite a while yet.
Then, last Sunday night, I was brushing Molly's teeth when I saw something white behind her front bottom teeth. At first I thought maybe she had hurt her gums or something, but once she spit out her toothpaste I could see what it was. It was her first permanent tooth! It was coming in right behind her baby teeth!
I showed Molly, and she was SO EXCITED. She was bouncing all around and just couldn't wait to tell everybody at school all about it. We checked her baby teeth, and the one right in front of this permanent tooth was loose. I told her to start wiggling it so it could come out soon so the big tooth has room to come in properly. Molly was so happy!
I felt kind of sad about the whole thing, though. :( My baby is getting so big!!! Losing teeth!
I told Molly I wanted to take some photos of her because these could be the last photos of her smiling with all of her baby teeth. Those photos are below:

Big grin to show all of her perfect teeth.

You can see the permanent tooth poking up behind her baby teeth in this photo above.


Here's a better look of that tooth coming up. I guess it's pretty common to have this happen.

-------
We also had a tooth incident with Alex this week.
On Wednesday night he gave us a scare. He started running up the stairs and tripped on the first or second step. I heard a huge smack and then him screaming and ran to him. He was bleeding badly, and it looked like he had bitten all the way through his lower lip. :(
I could see a huge gash on the inside of his lip, and on the outside just under his lip there was a horizontal cut.
I wrapped up some ice in a wet washcloth and had him hold it to his lips while I called the Children's Hospital ER to see if I should bring him there for stitches. They said yes, and Cory arrived home from work, and we all took Alex to the ER.
Once we got there, the bleeding had stopped enough that we could see the cut wasn't all the way through his lip. He bit on the inside and outside, but the outside cut wasn't very deep at all so no stitches were required. The inside cut is bad, but they don't do stiches on the inside of the mouth. Apparently it heals fine on its own and there is less risk of infection if they just leave it alone. The doctor there checked Alex out, put some Neosporin on his outer cut, and sent us home. Alex was a trooper through it all, and Molly was incredibly sweet to him, bringing him anything she could think of to help him feel better.
That first day he had trouble eating and pretty much lived on popsicles and smoothies. The swelling has gone down quite a bit, and he seems to be healing really quickly, thankfully. :)
Lea, a babysitter at the Y, told me that Alex seemed really brave and proud of his injury. She asked him what happened, and he just said, "I tripped on the stairs and fell and bit through my lip. It bled a lot, but the doctor made it better."

Posted by Picasa

No comments: