Friday, May 2, 2008

Funny Stories

Molly and Alex were playing up in Molly's room on Wednesday night. All of a sudden there was a loud noise, and Cory heard Molly tell Alex they needed to "fix it quick!". Cory went upstairs to see what happened, and it turns out Molly's door knob had fallen out of her door. Molly and Alex ran downstairs to the basement (where the toy tools and workbench are), and Molly put on the hard hat and grabbed a bunch of tools. They ran upstairs and starting working on her door, determined to fix it. Here are some photos of Molly working hard! How cute is that?!?




-------

Today after our MOPS meeting, I asked Molly and Alex if they would like to go to the library. They both said, "Yes!" and cheered. We parked at the library and started to walk inside when I realized Alex's diaper had leaked and the back of his pants were really wet.

I knew that I had some DVD's on hold waiting for me behind the desk, so I hoped to just run in quickly and grab those and then deal with the diaper issue later. I didn't want everyone to see his wet pants, though, so I took off his jacket and tied it around his waist. Alex did NOT like that, though, and refused to keep it tied and around his waist.

I decided I should change him then, so we went back to the van and did that. I had a bag in there with some extra diapers and clothes we keep for emergencies, so I grabbed that. Unfortunately, I hadn't restocked the bag in a while, and there were no pants - only a small pair of shorts.

At this point I should mention that every warm day this spring, we've tried to get Alex to wear a short sleeved shirt, but he refuses. He gets one on and once he realizes the sleeves are short, he starts screaming. He tries to pull the cuff down to his wrist and when that doesn't work, he just cries and tugs until he gets the shirt off. He does NOT like the feeling of bare arms. We hope once it gets hot and stays hot he'll eventually adjust.

So.... I was wondering if the same was going to happen with the shorts. Sure enough, it did. He let me put them on fine, but as soon as they were on he looked down in shock at his legs and started pulling at the shorts, trying to make them longer. He was MAD! I told him that as soon as we got home, he could have some real pants to wear, and we would just run quickly into the library. He said, "No, go home NOW. Need pants now!!!"

I told Molly we'd have to just go home and skip the library. Then SHE melted down. She collapsed on the floor of the van crying, "I really want to go to the library. You said we could go to the library. WAAAAH!"

I told her we could come back after Alex's nap this afternoon. She was not having it. She was crying every time I mentioned leaving. I tried again to convince Alex to just run in quickly in the shorts (he hadn't stopped pulling at them or crying, either.). He refused.

AAAH! What to do... either way ONE of them would be screaming and unhappy. Then, it hit me... I had the solution! I asked Molly if she'd wear the shorts and give Alex her pants. She said yes. I asked Alex if he would wear Molly's pants. He happily agreed. YAY!

They both swapped clothing. I told Molly the shorts would be really tight and might not zip, but she squeezed into them. I had to roll Molly's pants up several times so Alex wouldn't trip on them. It worked, though, and they were both really happy.

We picked out some books, read a book up in the reading loft, picked out a couple of movies and came home happy and ready for lunch. When we walked into the house, I checked the tag on those shorts Molly was wearing. You will never believe it - they were size 12M! Twelve months! Molly was wearing 12m baby boy shorts and Alex was wearing size 6 girls pants. I just had to take a picture for proof. Here it is (below). :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome! Good job Emily in your quick thinking. Most impressive.

—b

Joslin3 said...

HA! You passed mommy test #498875. No wonder I like you so much :)

Leah Miller said...

Who wears short shorts?! She wears short shorts!

Hahaha! That's great!

Anonymous said...

This story made me laugh so hard!! Quick thinking, Emily! :)